Andrés Manuel López Obrador (born November 13, 1953), often abbreviated as AMLO, is a Mexican politician who is the elect president of Mexico until his inauguration as president on December 1, 2018.
He began his political career in 1976 as a member of the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) in Tabasco and eventually became the party’s head of state.
In 1989, he joined the Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD) and was the party’s candidate in 1994 for the position of governor of Tabasco. He was the national leader of the PRD between 1996 and 1999.
In 2000, he was elected head of the government of Mexico City. Often described as populist and nationalist, López Obrador has been a national politician for more than two decades.
|Real Name||Andrés Manuel López Obrador|
|Nick Name||“El Peje,” ALMO, Mexico’s Trump|
|Famous For||Being The President of Mexico|
Physical Stats & More
|Height||in centimeters– 173 cm|
in meters– 1.73 m
in feet inches– 5’ 8”
|Weight||in kilograms– 75 kg|
in pounds– 165 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Political Party||National Regeneration Movement|
|Political Journey||1976: joins the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI)|
1988: He joined the new left-wing party of the PRI, later called the Democratic Movement, and later became the Party of the Democratic Revolution (PRD)
1994: he ran for the governorship of Tabasco but lost for PRI candidate Roberto Madrazo
1996: August 2, becomes president of the PRD and serves until April 10, 1999
2000: on July 2, the elected head of government of the federal district
2005: Candidate for the presidency of the PRD for the 2006 general elections
2006: Losing his first Mexican presidential bid against Felipe Calderón and on November 20, his supporters proclaim him “legitimate president”
2012: He lost his second attempt at the Mexican presidency against Enrique Peña Nieto and, on September 9, announced his withdrawal from the Party of the Democratic Revolution and the formation of a new party of the Movement for National Regeneration, later named Morena.
2018: won his third attempt in the Mexican presidency
|Biggest Rival(s)||Ricardo Anaya (candidate of the Conservative National Action Party (PAN))|
José Antonio (from the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI))
|Date Of Birth||November 13, 1953|
|Birth Place||Tepetitán, Tabasco, Mexico|
|Home Town||Tepetitan, Southern State of Tabasco, Mexico|
|School||Marcos Becerra School, Macuspana Municipality, Tabasco, Mexico|
A Middle School (Name Not Known) in Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico
A High School (Name Not Known) in Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico
|College||National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico City|
|Educational Qualification||Degree in Political and Social Sciences from UNAM in 1987|
|Hobbies||Watching Baseball Matches, Reading, Traveling|
|Controversies||His reputation was marred in November 2004 by the lynching of federal law enforcement agents conducting a secret investigation in Tláhuac. The Congress voted in favor of lifting the immunity of López Obrador. However, due to its popularity, the controversy was closed on a technicality, and Lopez, despite the elimination of immunity, was not prosecuted.|
|Favorite Baseball Team||St. Louis Cardinals|
Girls, Affairs and More
|Marriage Date||April 8, 1979 (with first wife)|
October 16, 2006 (with second wife)
|Wife/Spouse||First Wife– Rocío Beltrán Medina (m. 1979; div. 2003)|
Second Wife– Beatriz Gutiérrez Müller (m. 2006)
|Children||Son(s)– José Ramón, Andrés Manuel, Gonzálo Alfonso (all the three from Rocío Beltrán Medina), Jesús Ernesto (from Beatriz Gutiérrez Müller)|
|Parents||Father– Andrés López Ramón (ran a fabric shop)|
Mother– Manuela Obrador González (ran a fabric shop)
|Siblings||Brother(s)– Arturo Lopez Obrador, José Ramiro López Obrador, José Ramón López Obrador, Pío Lorenzo López Obrador, Martín Jesús López Obrador|
Sister– Candelaria López Obrador
|Net worth||Not Known|
Some lesser-known facts about López Obrador
- Fuma López Obrador ?: Unknown
- Does López Obrador drink alcohol?
- He was born in a small town called Tepetitán in the southern state of Tabasco.
- López was born as the first son of merchants based in Veracruz.
- His maternal grandfather has been exiled to Mexico from Cantabria, Spain.
- López attended the Marcos Becerra school, the only one in the city, and helped his parents in the store “La Posadita” in the afternoon.
- His family moved to the capital of Tabasco, Villahermosa, in the mid-1960s, where they opened the clothing and footwear store “Novedades Andrés”.
- On June 8, 1969, an incident occurred in which his brother José Ramón López Obrador was shot to death. One theory suggests that Lopez accidentally shot his brother while playing with a gun.
- The incident affected him deeply.
- After graduating from the capital of Tabasco, Villahermosa, López went to Mexico City to obtain his degree in Political and Social Sciences at the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).
- In 1976, López Obrador joined the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) and supported Carlos Pellicer’s campaign for the seat of the Senate for Tabasco.
- In 1977, he directed the Institute of Indigenous Peoples of Tabasco.
- In 1984, Lopez returned to Mexico City to work at the National Institute of Consumers, a government agency.
- In 1988, he resigned from the National Institute of Consumers and joined the democratic current, led by Cuauhtémoc Cárdenas.
- In 1996, López Obrador gained national visibility when he appeared on national television bathed in blood as a result of clashes with the police; since it had blocked the Pemex oil wells to defend the rights of the local natives affected by the contamination.
- After leading the PRD from 1996 to 1999, he was Head of Government of the Federal District from 2000 to 2005.
- During his tenure as head of the federal district government, Lopez became one of the most visible politicians in Mexico.
- In 2004, López Obrador was a finalist for the World’s Biggest Prize, losing to the mayor of Tirana, Edi Rama.
- During his tenure as Mayor, Mr. López fulfilled 80% of the promises he made during his election campaign and implemented several social programs to help vulnerable groups, including the elderly, single mothers and people with intellectual disabilities. and physical
He also helped create a new university: the Autonomous University of Mexico City.
- López Obrador also directed the restoration and modernization of the historic center of Mexico City.
- In August 2006, he lost his first Mexican presidential candidacy to Felipe Calderón. However, on November 20, 2006, the day of the Mexican Revolution, supporters of López Obrador proclaimed him “legitimate president” at a rally in Zócalo, Mexico City.
- In July 2018, he won the Mexican presidency by an overwhelming majority.
- López Obrador is nicknamed “El Peje”, according to a common fish Tabasco, pejelagarto.
- During his campaign for the Mexican presidency in 2018, he was also nicknamed “Trump of Mexico” for his program “Mexico First,” which was aligned with Donald Trump’s “America Primero” spirit.
- During his presidential campaign, he also said that he would live in his own middle-class house, turn the official residence into an artistic center, sell the presidential plane and cut his salary.