Mahesh Shrinivas Bhupathi (born June 7, 1974) is a retired Indian professional tennis player. In 1997, he became the first Indian to win a Grand Slam tournament.
With his victory in mixed doubles at the 2006 Australian Open, he joined the elite group of eight Slam tennis players in mixed doubles. He is also the founder of International Premier Tennis League.
In December 2016, Bhupathi was named the next captain of the Davis Cup in India and took the reins of Anand Amritraj in February 2017. He is also part of the Hon. Advisory Council of IIMUN.
|Real Name||Mahesh Shrinivas Bhupathi|
|Profession||Professional Tennis Player|
Physical Stats & More
|Height||in centimeters– 185 cm|
in meters– 1.85 m
in feet inches– 6’ 1”
|Weight||in kilograms– 90 kg|
in pounds– 200 lbs
|Turned Pro||In 1995|
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||• Arjuna Award for Lawn Tennis: 1995|
• Padma Shri: 2001
|Date Of Birth||7 June 1974|
|Age (as in 2018)||44 Years|
|Birth Place||Chennai, India|
|Home Town||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|College||University of Mississippi, U.S.A|
|Educational Qualification||Not Known|
|Controversies||• He had an argument with Leander Paes over not selecting him in the Indian Team for the Davis Cup.|
• He seperated from his first wife, Shwetha Jaishankar after seven years of marriage. She claimed that Bhupathi was dating Lara Dutta before their seperation.
|Favourite Actor||Govinda, Amitabh Bachchan|
|Favourite Movies||Coolie No. 1, Hero No. 1 and Jodi No. 1|
|Favourite Cookies||Chocolate Chip Cookies|
|Favourite Food||South Indian, Italian|
|Favourite Tennis Players||Boris Becker, Roger Federer|
Girls, Affairs and More
|Marriage Date||First Marriage– On 24 November 2002|
Second Marriage– On 16 February 2011
|Wife/Spouse||First Wife– Shwetha Jaishankar (2002-2009) Model|
Second Wife– Lara Dutta (2011-Present) Actress
Daughter– Saira Bhupathi
|Parents||Father– C.G. Krishna|
Mother– Mira Bhupathi
Sister– Kavita Bhupathi
|Cars Collection||Mercedes Benz E-Class, BMW 7-Series|
|Net worth||$5.6 Million (₹38 Crore)|
Some lesser-known facts about Mahesh Bhupathi
- Mahesh Bhupathi smokes ?: No
- Mahesh Bhupathi drinks alcohol ?: No
- Even before his birth, his father had decided that his son would become a tennis player. In an interview, he said that when his mother was pregnant, his father had used to watch tennis. His father was himself a professional tennis player, but due to a car accident he had to leave the game. His father wanted to live his dream through him.
- He was 3 years old when his father started training him in tennis.
- He was 11 years old when his father took him to see Wimbledon.
- Growing up, he put a lot of work and many sacrifices. His father made sure that the daily hours are established. No day was Christmas, no day was New Year. He did not have a party and he did not go to his friends’ birthday parties.
- His father had the opportunity to be an investment banker and earn more money. The work required traveling and a lot of time away from home. He did not choose it because his priority was to improve Mahesh’s game.
- While studying at the University of Mississippi, he won double honors and all of the United States.
- In an interview, he said his favorite moment was Olympic when he met Muhammad Ali at the 1996 Olympics.
- In 1997, he became the first Indian to win the Grand Slam by winning the French Open in mixed doubles.
- In 1999, he won three doubles titles with his partner Leander Paes, the Internationaux de France and Wimbledon. Their association became very famous with its characteristic Chest Bump celebration. On April 26, 1999, they became the double ranked team 1 in the world.
- In 2001, he received the highest civil prize in India; Padma Shri.
- In 2002, she married Shwetha Jaishankar, Miss India International. They found each other thanks to a mutual friend at an auction. After three months of friendship, they came into contact. On the anniversary of Shwetha, Bhupathi has decided to propose to him that she said yes.
- In 2006, he won the doubles championship with Leander Paes at the Asian Games in Doha.
- After seven years of marriage, the couple decided to divorce in 2009.
- In 2010, Lara Dutta Bollywood actress, created a film production company known as “Big Daddy Productions”.
- February 16, 2011, he married Lara Dutta at a civil ceremony in Bandra, Mumbai. Then, on February 20, they were married in a Christian ceremony at Sunset Point, Goa.
- On August 1, 2011, Lara confirmed that she was pregnant and on January 20, 2012, the couple was blessed with a daughter they named Saira.
- In 2014, he launched a sports brand, Zeven. This brand supports Indian sports stars such as Shikhar Dhawan, Ravindra Jadeja, Rohan Bopanna and Mary Kom among others.
- He announced his retirement in 2016. Although he did not stay away from tennis that same year, he was named captain of the Davis Cup in India.
- During his 21-year career, he has won 12 Grand Slam (4 doubles and 8 mixed doubles).